What to do in fire situations
- Monitor conditions.
- Check your bushfire survival plan. If you do not have a plan, decide what you will do if the situation changes.
- It time permits, check your neighbours to see if they are monitoring conditions.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms that may be due to smoke exposure, the Department of Health advises people to seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
For General Bushfire Information
- Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) on freecall 1800 240 667 For information on fires or planned burns in Victoria and general fire safety
- ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations or watching Sky News TV
- www.cfa.vic.gov.au Information about fire restrictions, fire bans and fires on private land
- Deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment can contact VBIL via the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677
- Callers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment may also call textphone/telewriter (TTY) on 1800 122 969.
- Information is also available at www.dse.vic.gov.au/fires
ABC Gippsland on Facebook is also a helpful site for fire information.
The Buchan Neighbourhood house will also post information on Facebook for fire information as this can be accessed by computer or by mobile phone.
Local Incident Management Plan
Plans are available at the Buchan Neighbourhood House.
The Neighbourhood House also operates a community phone tree during fire threat to keep the community up to date on fire information. Please contact us if you would like to be added to this phone tree. Phone trees are constantly updated and reviewed to the best of our knowledge. Phone Trees can be viewed at the Buchan Neighbourhood House or Buchan Post Office.
W Tree Phone Trees are maintained by Julia Williams.
On days of high fire danger and hot conditions, members of the community are invited and encouraged to come to the Neighbourhood House to enjoy the air conditioned comfort. Bring your book, sewing and relax at the centre. Animals can also be brought to the centre. Cats in boxes please.
Go to the emergency services pages for related contact numbers and webpages.
Buchan Fire Simulations Meeting using Phoenix Mapping held on Tuesday 29th November 2016